In this section you can find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the NANO Antivirus family. If you have not found the answer to your question, please contact us, and our specialists will answer as soon as possible.
1. How to install NANO Antivirus Pro without Internet access?
Answer: To install NANO Antivirus Pro, follow these steps:
- Download and unzip the package for installation in any convenient folder.
- Run the file setup.exe.
- Follow the installer instructions.
Attention: You must first obtain a license file to install NANO Antivirus Pro on a computer that does not have an Internet connection. The process of obtaining a license file is described in more detail in question # 2. This functionality is only available in NANO Antivirus Pro.
2. How to activate NANO Antivirus Pro without Internet access?
Answer: If NANO Antivirus Pro is installed on a computer that does not have access to the Internet, you can receive the license file by email via the support service. To do this, you need to send a request for a license for offline activation to email@example.com. The letter should indicate how many PCs you plan to use this license on, the name and email address to which the license will be issued, and attach (specify) the activation key.
3. How can I update NANO Antivirus Pro if it is installed on a computer without Internet access?
Answer: Set up updates mirroring. In the update settings, activate the option “Mirror updates to the specified folder” on one of the machines (it is desirable that it has constant access to the Internet and be configured to automatically update NANO Antivirus Pro). Select a network folder that can be read by all users (everyone) as a directory for mirroring, and then specify this network folder as the update source on other machines in the update settings. However, you can just transfer the folder with the actual content to another computer that is not connected to the Internet and specify it as an update source. Then you should save the changes and run the update.
Attention: This functionality is only available in NANO Antivirus Pro.
4. When updating from a network folder NANO Antivirus Pro, the error “Access Denied” occurs – how to fix it?
Answer: Change the access rights to the network folder with updates: allow read access to this folder to “everyone”. If this does not help and you still receive an “Access denied” error (“AccessDenied”), follow these steps:
- Open the Local Security Policies snap-in.
- Go to “LocalPolicies\Securityoptions”.
- Edit the policy “Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously”: add your network folder with updates to the list (by the name of a network resource, for example, “NanoAV”, without quotes).
- Change the access rights to the network folder with updates: allow read access to user “ANONYMOUS LOGON”.
5. Where can I get the activation key?
Answer: You can purchase the activation key for NANO Antivirus Pro on our website or from one of our partners.
6. Can I use one activation key on multiple computers?
Answer: Yes, you can use one activation key on multiple devices. When using the key on the new device, the remaining “days of protection” will be proportionally divided among all your devices. More information about the mechanism of dynamic licenses can be found in the this article.
Attention: When using the activation key on the second and subsequent devices, you need to specify the same e-mail address you specified when you used the key for the first time.
7. I activated the activation key on the 2nd (3rd, etc.) PC, and the validity period of my license was reduced – is this normal?
Answer: Yes, this is the correct behavior – when using a key on a new device, the remaining “days of protection” will be proportionally divided among all your devices. More information about the mechanism of dynamic licenses can be found in the this article.
8. I made a typo when I entered my e-mail during the first activation of a dynamic license in NANO Antivirus Pro, and now I cannot activate the license on the 2nd (3rd, etc.) PC – what should I do now?
Answer: In this case, you should contact our technical support by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the address where you made a typo during the first activation.
9. I reinstalled the OS and / or NANO Antivirus Pro, and when I activated the license I received a message that the license is being used on 2 (3, etc.) devices. How can I deactivate the “old” license?
Answer: For deactivation you should contact our technical support by e-mail (email@example.com) from the address that you specified when you activated the key for the first time.
10. Why do I get the “key activation limit reached” error when using the key on the 2nd (3rd, etc.) device?
Answer: When an additional PC is activated, the remaining “protection days” are proportionally divided among all activated devices. There is one restriction: after activating the next PC, each of the devices should have the number of protection days not less than the minimum. If this condition is not met — the activation of the next device will not occur, and you will receive a message “the activation key limit has been reached”. More information about the mechanism of dynamic licenses can be found in the this article.
11. Are protection days summed up when several activation keys are used sequentially on the same device?
Answer: No, in this case, for each new key a new license will be obtained, which will replace the current one, and the current license will be automatically deactivated (the number of devices using the license will be reduced).
12. What are bonus days of protection, how to get them, and what are they for?
Answer: Bonus protection days are full protection days received as a bonus. Bonus days can be obtained by activating the license on additional devices, as well as a prize during promotions, contests, etc.
13. Does your antivirus have the ability to mirror updates?
Answer: Yes, NANO Antivirus Pro has this feature. Details of the configuration process are described in question # 3 of this FAQ.
Attention: This functionality is only available in NANO Antivirus Pro.
14. When I try to get a license, I get the error “No connection to the licensing server.” What to do?
Answer: Check your Internet connection. If there is a connection, make sure that firewalls (including the built-in WindowsFirewall, as well as firewalls that are part of different InternetSecurity) do not block access to the network to nanosvc.exe and nanoav.exe processes. Try to disable firewalls and try again (how to disable WindowsFirewall, described, for example, here). In addition, if you do not use a proxy server to connect to the Internet, make sure that the “Use a proxy server” option is disabled in the antivirus settings on the “Network” tab. If you use a proxy server, you need to specify its parameters in the antivirus settings.
15. I’m sure the file is infected, but your antivirus reports that the file is not infected.
Answer: One of the most likely causes is that a sample of this malware is missing from our database. Perhaps you came across a completely “fresh”, newly created malware. We will need your help to improve our protection. We will be grateful if you send us an infected file to analyze and add to the database. To send a file, use the feedback form.
16. I have an antivirus program from another manufacturer installed on my computer. Will your antivirus work correctly in parallel with another antivirus?
Answer: We do not guarantee the correct operation in parallel with other developers’ antivirus software. You may install our antivirus software at your own risk. In any case, if you plan to use our system protection feature, we recommend you disable the protection feature in a third-party antivirus.
17. Are the databases updated automatically or manually?
Answer: Our antivirus is updated automatically every 4 hours. You can configure the start of the update according to the schedule convenient for you. You can also update manually from the main window. In addition, NANO Antivirus Pro provides the creation of custom update tasks.
18. How do I know the virus database has been updated?
Answer: The virus database was updated if the update process was completed without errors. You can see the date of virus database update in your antivirus version in the “About the program” tab of the “Information” menu item.
19. How to report a problem?
Answer: You can report the problem in one of the following ways:
Method No. 1: Please use the menu item: “Start-> All Programs-> NANO Antivirus (Pro) -> Report a problem to Support service” (do not forget to add a brief description of the problem and your e-mail for feedback).
Method No. 2: Please use the feedback form.
20. Why are there no sound effects?
Answer: Sounds are disabled by default. You can enable them in the menu item “Settings-> Appearance”. Sound alerts do not play when Game Mode is active.
21. Your antivirus finds malicious object %the name of a third-party antivirus% during an express scan. What to do in this situation?
Answer: There are two reasons for this behavior. The first (unlikely) – your third-party antivirus can really be infected with malware. The second (most probable) – your third-party antivirus stores its samples for detecting malicious software in the open form, and they are detected by our antivirus. In order to determine what kind of situation is in question, let us know about the problem in a convenient way. In any case, to avoid such a situation, do not run a third-party antivirus along with our antivirus.
22. Why doesn’t my antivirus copy start without installation?
Answer: Currently, there is no portable version of the NANO Antivirus family of products. We do not guarantee the operation of the antivirus without proper installation.
23. Why is the antivirus not installed/started in Safe Mode?
Answer: In Safe Mode, only the basic services and drivers required to start Windows are downloaded. Drivers and services necessary for the full operation of the antivirus cannot be started.
24. How to change the selected action for infected and suspicious files in the System Protection section? Why are these actions reset to “Ask User” when restarting the antivirus?
Answer: The “System Protection” tab records actions previously selected by the user on pop-up messages and applied to all such objects (respectively, only actions provided in pop-up messages are available). When restarting the antivirus or turning off the protection, the actions selected for all objects are reset. This is done on purpose, since the very fact that the system protection has been triggered is a non-standard situation that requires a deliberate decision from the user.
25. Is there a firewall in the NANO Antivirus family of products?
Answer: Currently, only web traffic scanner is present in the products of the NANO Antivirus family.
26. Does the NANO Antivirus family of products have antivirus proactive protection?
Answer: The products of the NANO Antivirus family are equipped with a powerful heuristic analysis engine, which is one of the elements of proactive protection.
27. Is there a free version of NANO Antivirus Pro?
Answer: Yes, it is.
28. Can I use NANO Antivirus with a free license in organizations?
Answer: NANO Antivirus with a free license can only be used on home PCs. Use NANO Antivirus Pro in companies.
29. If NANO Antivirus can be used for free, why do we need licenses?
Answer: We use licenses to obtain statistical information, as well as to identify users when they contact technical support. Remember that all the information we receive from users is used only for our internal purposes and under no circumstances can be transferred to third parties.
30. How to install NANO Antivirus with a free license on a computer that does not have access to the Internet?
Answer: The ability to install on a PC without Internet access is not available for NANO Antivirus with a free license. Use NANO Antivirus Pro in this situation.
31. How can I update NANO Antivirus with a free license if it is installed on a computer without the Internet access?
Answer: The ability to update on a PC without Internet access is not available for NANO Antivirus with a free license. Use NANO Antivirus Pro in this situation.
32. What is compatibility mode?
Answer: In case of parallel operation of programs that conflict with our antivirus, the system performance may be impaired up to a complete system lock. Therefore, we use the Compatibility Mode for such situations — this is a special mode in which our antivirus can work without conflict with third-party antivirus or other conflicting software. Compatibility Mode disables the functionality of our antivirus that may conflict with other software installed on the system.
33. How to configure the firewall for proper operation of NANO Antivirus?
Answer: Firewall is a program designed to block network traffic, so for NANO Antivirus to work correctly, you must follow the instructions of your firewall and add the following addresses to the exclusion list:
Note: If these recommendations did not solve the problem of updating or obtaining a NANO Antivirus license, you should also add the following IP addresses to the exclusion list:
34. Can I install NANO Antivirus / NANO Antivirus Pro on a RAM disk?
Answer: No, this installation method is not supported. We do not guarantee the correct operation of the antivirus in this case.
35. I cured the infected program with a third-party antivirus. Now your antivirus reacts on the cured program, showing that it is infected. What to do?
Answer: Most likely, the infected program was not cured correctly by a third-party antivirus. We recommend reinstalling the program by downloading it from a trusted source.